Posted in Family, Home, Personal

Cabin Fever

It happened on a whim. My husband picked me up from work on Tuesday and out of nowhere asked if we could get our cabin the next day. Our cabin (#5) known as the Freddie B Suite is the crème de la crème of cabins. It has 3 bedrooms with queen sized beds, ceiling fans, central air and heat, a huge kitchen, a rain shower in the bathroom, an enormous wraparound deck that overlooks the Guadalupe River, and wi-fi. One simple phone call and it was booked! We went to the market to grab our essentials.

After dinner, I got started making tuna salad, cucumber & dill dip, cut up cantaloupe, carrots and celery, and bagged up everything for our camping trip. The next morning, my husband dropped me off and said he would be back with the family around lunch. Perfect.

So, here’s the deal. We haven’t had significant rain in nearly a month. In fact, the Fire Marshall issued a county-wide burn ban last Friday, but around lunchtime, just as my stomach began to rumble, so did the sky. The gray clouds moved in swiftly and it got so dark outside, I was certain the apocalypse was upon us. Suddenly, the rain came down in sheets and didn’t stop. The thunder rolled and the lightning struck just like a bad Garth Brooks song. The kids were already in their bathing suits, but there was no swimming to be had. They huddled in one bedroom watching YouTube videos on the Kindle while my mother-in-law hunkered down in another bedroom watching over Olive like a hawk. Ollie had some sort of minor rash that didn’t seem to bother her, but we were still worried. I curled up in the other bedroom, draining my phone playing Ruzzle. Bummer. We stayed like that for several hours, bored out of our wits. We were hungry, too, and all anxiously awaiting my husband to arrive and make it better.

Just as predicted, Jose showed up and so did the sun. My mother-in-law and baby were happy to see him. The kids perked up and ran outside. He lit the fire on the grill, I got started chopping up the vegetable for fajitas, my MIL got started on the rice, and I sent the kids on a scavenger hunt. They did so good!


The kids finished their scavenger hunt just as Jose finished dinner. It was about that time that we noticed Olive’s rash had gotten significantly worse. We were all wrought with worry and without hesitation, Jose scooped her up to take her to the hospital. I wanted to go too, but he insisted I stay with the kids and his mom. He left in such a rush, he didn’t eat dinner and almost left without her diaper bag, insurance card, or her bottle. I chased after him, making him promise to call as soon as he heard something. DO YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE TO NOT GO TO THE ER WITH YOUR BABY?! I was stressed out, waiting for his call. His mom started cleaning up the kitchen and the kids disappered in their room, presumably to watch more YouTube. This wasn’t how things were supposed to go.

After what felt like hours, Jose called from the hospital to say she was diagnosed with Roseola Virus. My poor baby. I went outside to make s’mores over the still hot BBQ grill. The kids were pleased, I was exhausted. Olive was asleep when my husband got back to the cabin, my head was throbbing, the kids were “totally over it,” and my MIL was already in bed.

We had a restless night as Ollie was up quite a bit. I gave her a bath at 6:00 am and that helped calm her. She finally went back to sleep and I went to my work. Naturally, the rain has stopped and the sky is cloudless and blue. As I sit here in my office writing this, I am thinking about 5:00 pm – clock out time. I want to go home and relax in my cozy bed. I want to comfort my daughter…

Jose just called. We chatted about our plans for the day. He said he would be back to have lunch with me. Just as we were saying our good-byes he said,

“Hey Baby, want to stay another night?”


I'm a forty-something river goddess, music enthusiast, campground manager, wife, momma to nine, and doting grandmother to four... Mostly, I'm just a gal that has a lot to say.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s